Friday, February 20, 2015

Discrimination or Caution?


Image result for islam
              With all the recent issues with ISIS in the Middle East the issue is “caution or discrimination”, and as everybody knows there are always two sides to every story. So let’s start with discrimination, obviously not every Muslim is part of ISIS or Al Qaida, not all Muslims are going to blow up planes and bomb buildings. So it is wrong of us to look at a Muslim and discriminate against him or her. With all the Muslims in the world, many of them are very peaceful people, and then there are those who are jihadists and terrorists. But which one of them is the true Muslim? Because only one of those groups is interpreting the Koran correctly, and experts and professors lean more towards the jihadists being more accurate in the interpretation of the Koran. However that does not mean that they are 100% correct, only more accurate in their readings and studies than the peaceful Muslim. So to be real for a second, if you see a Muslim at an airport getting ready to board the flight with you, what are you going to think? I quite frankly would be a little nervous, of course not to the point where I want to get off the airplane or anything extreme like that. But I would probably have some sketchy feelings depending on the circumstances, and I don’t consider that discrimination, I call it being cautious. You have to remember 9/11, I’m sure there were passengers on those planes who had sketchy feelings too, even though Islam wasn’t as big of an issue with America then as it is now. But I wouldn’t consider that wrong, it would be like if a homeless person beat you up and robbed you one day, you’re probably going to be cautious around homeless people, even though they aren’t all bad people. There is a fine line between discrimination and caution.

2 comments:

  1. Good, interesting to read. A simple explanation of the argument but effective. If all Muslims were to act with great conviction upon the true meaning of their faith we might be in trouble but thankfully there are many who dormant in their religious affections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what is your synopsis over discrimination and caution? Is it helpful to be cautious or should we go all in in discriminating to keep us safe. Both options provide safety but which road should be taken: one where we don't do anything and "wait" for attacks or one where we wipe out this dormant threat forever?

    ReplyDelete