Purge Rumors
The movie The Purge Anarchy recently came out in theaters which is a sequel to the movie The Purge, which made 29.8 million dollars. The main idea of this movie is that all crime is legal for 12 hours once a year, and the point of this is to reduce the crime rate, so that people save all their anger and temptations for the one 12 hour period per year. There is murder, robbery, rape, every crime imaginable is legal. I have not seen the second movie but I have seen the first. A family was broken apart and left scared and scarred. When I watch scary movies I don't get scared, however the thing scariest about this movie is the thought of it actually happening. People losing their friends and family, that's just terrifying. The point of this movie is to scare people, its a fiction/horror movie, which some people obviously took a little to seriously. In Louisville, Kentucky a teenager spread rumors about a local purge happening on August 15. He tweeted "Whos trying get a Louisville Purge started with me?" The police said they would increase their units and maximize security, because they thought there was a real threat, even though the tweet was just a prank. This story traveled throughout the United States and people started to worry about this actually happening, and how could you not? Especially if you've seen the movie ad seen the potential things that could happen, but its a good thing we have this thing called the law. Although laws can be changed, it is very unlikely that this law would be passed. The thing about the Purge is its a movie, its fiction, it would be like someone saying that they were scared of a zombie apocalypse from a movie they saw, its just not likely to happen at all. And I think these rumors and pranks should make people appreciative of not just police officers for helping protect them, but also appreciate all law enforcement and the laws that the government provides us with, keeping us safe. God gave us the law as not just guidelines but as rules so we would not just make decisions purely off our morals, because for some people that would be a very bad idea. And when you break rules there are consequences, and this teenager, who spread these rumors is facing them.
How do you think a real life "Purge" would work out? Would you participate in a "Purge"?
ReplyDeleteThis is borderline great, I don't think you realize how close you are to profound thinking here, even if it seems to be accidental. You are touching on some deep harmony between human behavior and God's law. Good job Bailey.
ReplyDeleteI actually almost wrote about this last week. Now I did see the second one and it was much more graphic and violent than the first. At one point I couldn't even watch it because I just imagined how bad it would be if it actually happened. Then my dad and I got into a "discussion" about how far fetched it was but yet how there are actually people in the U.S that would approve and campaign for a Purge law to be passed. Even though the movie is meant to be a horror film, it really gets you thinking. Anyways, I liked this post and am glad someone wrote about the purge threats/pranks.
ReplyDeleteThis was great! you used some information and a lot of "sharpening of the mind" and if people are really getting prepared for the purge maybe they should focus preparing the hearts and minds for Jesus's coming!
ReplyDeleteThe problem with a movie like the purge is that it gets people talking and when people get talking, no one knows what's going to happen.
ReplyDeleteI really liked how well you were able to convey to the reader exactly how you felt on the subject so flawlessly.
ReplyDelete