Friday, December 12, 2014
"Torture"
Recently reports of torture from the CIA have been released. The CIA handed over information about torture such as waterboarding, rectal rehydration and other painful acts that were not authorized by the white house. Out of 6,000 pages from a report, the CIA released 528 pages about the things that they were doing. 5,472 pages are still in the hands of the CIA and I think they should stay there, we don’t know any other methods of torture that they used except for the ones that they told us. Is it immoral to torture? Torture is torture, whether it’s extreme torture or very mild, it’s still torture, but the ends justify the means. As a country, if we can save thousands of lives by torturing a few, it’s okay. But not everyone agrees with that statement, former secretary of state Colin Powell told the CIA to do what they had to do, but not to tell him what they had to do, otherwise he would have to take action and prosecute those in the wrong. It’s like when you go to tell your mom something but she says I don’t want to know so she doesn’t have to get you in trouble. The main point of this issue is the morality of our country, is it okay for us to torture if it gets us valuable information, or is it wrong?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A very conical argument. Pooling everything up to the central issue. You hit the target on that section pretty well I'd say. I'm a bit confused with your opinion, however. You believe that concealing wrong but dutifully helpful actions is right? I suppose that is right in some cases how you must cut off the head of a chicken in order to eat its meat, but I think the moral issues in this field go beyond the "out of sight, out of mind" idea. That's just what I think. So in the end, what do you believe? "Is it okay for us to torture if it gets us valuable information, or is it wrong?" Usually, people say: if you think it's wrong or could be wrong, then it probably is.
ReplyDelete