Friday, October 3, 2014

Suicide Isn't A Disease

   
                          Recently Robin Williams, a famous actor and comedian that most people are familiar with took his own life because of his disease depression, which is his cause of death most people would say. But I don’t believe depression is a cause of death, I believe suicide is, and that it is a choice. Depression is a serious thing, Clinical Depression, is a serious thing actually, I don’t believe being upset for a few weeks about a break up or a loss of something or someone is depression, I believe if you are diagnosed by a doctor with clinical depression it is a serious matter. Now if you are clinically depressed is suicide an option? Or even a thought? Although I am not depressed and have never had suicidal thoughts and I cannot speak on the minds of those who are suicidal, I do not believe suicide is an option or ever should be. The thing is many people take their own life and use depression as a justified reason for their death, which it is not. The definition of suicide is- the act of taking ones life intentionally, but for me there are two different definitions of suicide, one being selfish and one being selfless. If you kill yourself because you’re sad and feel you have nothing to live for you’re a coward, whereas if you are jumping in front of a bullet to save your mothers life you are brave and a hero. The story of Sampson in the bible could be labeled a suicide but in reality it is an act of valor. During battle Sampson knocked down the pillars of the building he and all of his enemies were under, killing thousands of Palestinians and himself. Suicide because of depression is a cowardly thing, and it is selfish, it is not a symptom of depression, it is a choice. There are so many different things you can do to help with your depression, and programs you can attend to help. Robin Williams tried attending rehab but it did not help him because I believe he did not want help, you have to want help to get it. Suicide however is a very very serious and sad matter, any loss is a tragedy. Feeling so strongly against suicide I wanted to just rant about how suicide is wrong and bad and say Williams is stupid for his decision, but how can I say all that? I have absolutely no idea what he was struggling with and what he was going through, so how could I sit here and ridicule him? My heart longs for him actually, the fact that he was so unhappy with life and his decisions that his only way out of everything was suicide. My heart longs for all the people who feel this way, it is indeed a sad thing, and is no way people should be living.

3 comments:

  1. Great concept. That story of Sampson you gave was a good insight, but, going further, not all acts of valor are just. Try expanding on that thought a bit more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a good rant (sorry bicknell). Anyway I agree with you completely about people who commit selfish suicide, I believe people who do this do it because they "feel bad for themselves" and give no thought to the friends, family, and creator they'll be hurting in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bailey Carter, Is choice ever free from the spiritual battle that the Bible speaks of? Isn’t suicide the ultimate demonstration of your selfishness? But how can we blame people for being selfish when this is the message preached and proclaimed in the world and even in our churches. Most advertising and Christian preaching is about YOU!!! So is it any wonder people commit the ultimate act of selfishness? Doesn’t it show the ultimate emptiness of seeking your inner self?

    ReplyDelete