Friday, August 29, 2014

Richard Dawkins on Down Syndrome Abortion

           Richard Dawkins is an evolutionist, an atheist, an English writer, as well as a professor who taught at University of Oxford a very smart and successful man. But in all his wisdom he managed to come up with one of the stupidest things I have heard in a long time. In 2012 994 dead unborn children with Down syndrome were found in England and Wales. Dawkins was asked if he thought this was civilized and he said "Yes it is very civilized. These are fetuses, diagnosed before they have human feelings." He then says later how Down syndrome babies are just a burden on the family and that they should just try again because they have no quality of life, and it would just be child abuse keeping them alive. Which is ironic to me because I'm pretty sure killing a baby is child abuse....but maybe I'm just crazy. Abortion is already something that I completely disagree with, but here Dawkins is just crossing the line. After hearing some of the comments and remarks made to him, he then goes on to "apologize" by saying he is sorry if we, the readers, were offended by what he was saying. 
           Most parents who have children with Down syndrome say that they have very strong bonds with their children, like they would with any children. Although it feels like Dawkins is forcing his opinion, he says "I wouldn't dream of imposing my views on you", and then he continues to say how aborting the baby with the disorder is both the "moral and sensible choice." Being a Christian, I believe that God does not show favoritism, it states in Acts 10:34 “SO Peter opened his mouth and said: Truly I understand that God shows no partiality. Which means that God does not show favoritism, Dawkins, not being Christian doesn’t take that into consideration. But you do not have to be Christian to realize, “Hey killing babies is wrong”, especially babies who have Down syndrome, or any disorder! You could even compare this to racism, discrimination just because they have a disease, or are different from the common people. Although it seems I am forcing my view on you, just as Dawkins has done, even though he states that is not is intention, it is more a question you must ask yourself. Is it moral to kill not only a baby, but a baby with a disorder just because they aren’t like the common people?

4 comments:

  1. Great point about the child abuse is abortion but take it further to what it really is, murder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect the fact that you are voicing your opinion and not staying on the fence like others. I like your point about how stupid Dawkins sounds because he does sound stupid. I'd like to ask him when murder became a civilized act.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great opening statement. Your ironic statement clinched it for me, very insightful, like murdering a child isn't worse than child abuse. Simple enough to see but very well used in your argument. I am pleasantly surprised with your writing. Your last question made for a good ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt like you only talked about that which supported your argument, and not the other side.

    ReplyDelete